Build It Green
Build It Green is a professional non-profit membership organization whose mission is to promote healthy, energy and resource-efficient buildings in California.
Supported by a solid foundation of outreach and education, Build It Green connects consumers and building professionals with the tools and technical expertise they need to build quality green buildings. Build It Green fosters collaboration with key stakeholder groups to accelerate the adoption of green building practices, policies, and programs through its network of councils. For more information, please visit www.builditgreen.org.
Here are Five Principles and Examples of Green Building:
I. Livable Communities - Better neighborhoods and quality of life
- Broader site considerations (as applicable) such as infill or mixed use developments
- Keep size in check--conserve resources by increasing density on buildable land
- Design for diverse households; ADA-compliant
II. Energy Efficiency - Improved comfort and lower energy bills
- Passive solar heating, overhangs on south windows, deciduous trees or west and south
- Upgraded insulation, SIPs, advanced air infiltration reduction practices (air sealing),
- Low-E double-pane windows
- Compact fluorescent lighting, low energy-using major appliances
- High-efficiency furnace or zoned, hydronic radiant heat; Tankless water heater
- Solar water heating, photovoltaic system (solar panels), wind turbines
III. Indoor Air Quality - Safe, pleasant and healthy homes
- Low or no-VOC paint, wood finishes, & adhesives; avoid products with added formaldehyde
- Mechanical ventilation system, heat recovery ventilation unit, sealed combustion furnace and water heater
- Range hood and bath fans vent to outside, bath fans controlled with a timer or humidistat
- No wood-burning fireplace, or retrofit wood-burning fireplace with EPA certified wood stoves/inserts
IV. Resource Conservation -Wise resource use for future generations
- Reuse/recycling of C&D (construction & demolition) waste
- High-volume recycled fly ash in concrete (min. 25%)
- Reclaimed lumber, flooring, millwork, and other reused or salvaged materials
- FSC-Certified wood, engineered lumber, Advanced Framing techniques
- Recycled-content decking, ceramic tiles, glass tiles or counters, carpet, etc.
- Rapidly renewable flooring: cork, linoleum, bamboo, natural fiber carpet
IV. Water Conservation - generating efficiencies in a critical area
- Ultra-low flush or dual-flush toilets, fixtures with below standard flow rates (showers<2.5gpm, faucets<2.2gpm)
- Grey water system, rainwater harvesting system, low-water landscaping, native landscaping, high-efficiency irrigation system, smart irrigation control, no irrigation
Source: Build It Green, 2014
Contact Green Project Marketing
To discuss how your company and project can benefit from our services as well if there are representation opportunities, please contact Michel (Michael) Stevens, President, at (800) 260-6008 ext. 301 PST or mstevens[at]greenprojectmarketing[dot]com. Skype ID: GreenProjMktg.